Do you have an extraordinary San Miguel story to share? Has living in San Miguel changed your life? Do you have unique advice for visitors?
If you have an essay, short story, or poem about your Mexican experiences that would appeal to readers, now’s your chance to get it published.
After the impressive success of its first and second anthologies, the Literary Sala is seeking the best writing about San Miguel and Mexico for Solamente en San Miguel, Volume III.
From April 1 to July 1, 2017 we will be accepting submissions of poetry, creative nonfiction, and fiction in Spanish and English. The deadline for writing submissions is July 1, 2017 at midnight.
1. Topics: The work must be about San Miguel. (Although the focus is definitely San Miguel, we will consider works about other parts of Mexico or Mexico in general.} Fiction, nonfiction and poetry are acceptable. We welcome submissions from any writer who has ever spent time in or lives in San Miguel.
2. Language: We welcome submissions in English and/or Spanish.
3. Previoulsy unpublished: Work submitted must be unpublished. Work may be simultaneously submitted elsewhere, but if it is accepted for publication elsewhere, it must be immediately withdrawn from this competition.
4. Deadline: Midnight July 1, 2017 is the final deadline for submissions.
5. Length and Format: Prose works must not exceed 3,000 words and must be double spaced. Prose submissions may be excerpts from longer works or a complete story or prose piece, so long as the length limit is adhered to. Poetry submissions should not exceed five pages and may include a maximum of three poems. Submissions must be in the form of a .doc .docx .odt or .pdf.
6. Submission Fee: A submission fee of $20 USD must accompany each prose work or each set of three or fewer poems that are submitted in English. A fee of $2 usd must accompany works submitted in Spanish.
7. How to Submit: We will accept works submitted to this website only. The submission and payment process is entirely electronic. No paper manuscripts will be accepted.
8. Blind Submissions: Submissions will be read “blind.” The author’s name must not appear anywhere in the work, including in headers or footers.
9. Multiple submissions: Applicants may submit multiple entries in one or more genres. Each submission must be complete, must be uploaded separately to the Submittable web site, and must be accompanied by an entry fee.
10. Notification of Results: We will notify applicants of the results of the judging by Septmber 2017. The decision of the judges is final. You may follow the progress of your submission on the Submittable site.
11. Entry Withdrawal: You may withdraw your submission at any time by signing into this Submittable website and clicking “Withdraw” next to your submission. No refunds will be given for withdrawn submissions.
12. Compensation: If your work is accepted for publication in Solamente En San Miguel, Volume III, you will receive one free copy of the book plus a one-time opportunity to purchase multiple copies at a reduced price for resale to friends, family, or retail outlets you may know of. No further compensation will be given, except for the satisfaction of contributing to a book that will be beloved by many and the knowledge that you are supporitng the literary life of San Miguel and surrounding rural communities. Proceeds will support the many programs of the San Miguel Literary Sala.
13. Technical Trouble: If you have trouble submitting, scroll down to the bottom of this page and click “Technical Help.” The Submittable support staff is very helpful if you have trouble uploading or paying online.
What are you waiting for?